Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Carpe Diem, seize the day, gather the rose buds while u may!

I know this might sound a little proud and I should probably be a litle more humble but I topped the cohort for the Anthropology exam! Woohoo. I decided to take a humanity/ non-sciency topic for my elective this semester, and I choose to do Cultural Anthropology because the topic desciption talked about using films as the main medium of instruction and I love watching films! Well the topic certainly didn't dissapoint its description. We have 3 hours of contact hours a week; a 2 hour lecture and a 1 hour tutorial. For every of the 12 weeks of lecture, we watch a full length movie. Yes. Full-length, ie from beginning theme song till the credits roll. And then during the tutorial, we talk about the movie. Well, not really 'we' talk, in my tute class my professor talks the full time.

I just love my professor!!! ^^ He is this middle-aged, hippy-ish (imagine biker jacket, you-can't-see-my-eyes-you-can-only-see-your-own-reflection sunnies, long white tied-back hair) irish-accented guy who is so knowledgeable! He knows the exact date of every significant (and well, even insignificant) event that happened throughout history. But, he is not a nerdy historian either! The way he describes stuff, 'in and out of jail like a yo-yo', 'walking around like a tent' (when describing the Islamic clothing) (I find the imagery of this wildly hilarious!!! LOL), there are heaps more occasions when I am just awestuck by how well he expresses his ideas, how perceptive they are, and how unique his way of expression is, (but its a pity I can't remember what exactly he said....).

It's a pity too that the class is unable to match his intellectual fierceness... In one class, after talking for a long time about complex societies and what constitutes one, he posed a question to the class. It was, apparently to him, a very simple question and he expected an immediate reply. 'What significant event happened in 1991?', imagine an expectant glance from him and blank stares from the class. Cue: 30 seconds of awkward silence. No one knew what he was expecting??? And then he gave up, probably thought we were just an apathetic lot.... The answer: the fall of the Soviet Union!!! LOL. Right, so never in my life would I guess that as the answer. Heck, I don't even know that. So... I guess sometimes I really like the humanities and history, its such a shame that I know so little about it.... And so, this is one of the classes I have never regretted taking.

Apart from it being so film-focused, I also like the assessment method of the class. Well it was a pleasant surprise really, because the assessment method was not stated in the topic desciption, so it could very well have entailed a 3 hour 100% exam-condition essay and I would have had to suffer through that. Fortunately for it, the assessment simply included 2 mcq-only exams and a 20% 1250 word essay. And the one I topped the cohort for was the 45% EOY exam. 90% HAHHAHA! I am so proud of myself, coming from a science background, and beating 64 other people LOL. Also, I got 2nd highest for my 20% essay (90% highest was 91%). And I did that essay the day it was due, started at 7.30am, when it was due at 4pm. (Procrastination is going to kill me someday, well it might already have, for Health Psychology, but that is another story...) Alright, thank you lucky stars! I am eternally gratefullllll... :)))))



-----------------------



On a side note, don't you hate it when you see a really funny picture on FB (on one of those pages that have a million funny Trolling pictures), and then you can't find it!!! There are at least 5 sites I visit, Go. Be. Love, Trust me I'm an Engineer, Lol page, etc. So how am I supposed to find the one that I am looking for. By trolling though the thumbnails????

No comments:

Post a Comment