Monday, March 29, 2010

Hi Friends!

Just a quick, short post for now, i've been meaning to blog about this since a few weeks ago, but decided to wait a few weeks because i keep learning new things about..... OZZIE SLANG (and phrases/words that they like to use but are not technically considered slangs)!
(weekly updates and pictures on culinary adventures will come soon!!!)

1) 'Heaps'
Eg: I had heaps fun yesterday; we have heaps of homework; that is heaps good!

Apparently it is a South Australian thing, because Nina, from Darwin, hates it!
Holly, from Adelaide, confirmed that it is a South Australian thing, and when i said i must learn it to assimilate, they all laughed lol. Even the commonwealth bank of Australia uses it in their advertisements: 'There are heaps good deals when you are a student'.

2) 'Shotgun'
Meaning: reserve, chope (in sg)
Eg: I shotgun to play Wii next.

I first heard it when Nina shotgun me to take the middle seat of Julian's car when we took a first ride in it. Didn't know what it meant until the next day when Kei Shia, who is actually Singaporean but has lived in Aus all her life, and i were talking about slangs and she mentioned it.

3) 'Whereabouts'
Eg: 'So whereabouts are you from?'

Always found this weird, because it is sufficient to just say 'so where are you from?'. But everybody is using it! Sometimes it is simply shortened to 'Whereabouts?', a one- word sentence, used to ask which country are you from, which state in Aus you stayed in, where in Adelaide are you living now ect.

4) 'I reckon'
Eg: 'I reckon we are going to be late for class';
'Do you think so?', 'Yeah, i reckon.'

It is used everywhere and in so many contexts to replace 'I feel', 'I think', 'I guess'. It is quite catchy to use actually and i have started to use it too! I reckon you guys will catch me saying it when we next meet! hahaha

5) 'Skux' (This is not exactly Ozzie Slang, it's from New Zealand, but NZlanders are considered interstaters even though they are from a different country, so it counts!)
Eg: That's skux.

Positive connotation, meaning something is really good. Don't go around using this in Aus though, i think it is strictly a NZ thing, the Aussie will not understand it.

Alright, i reckon you guys enjoyed my latest post, which is simply Skux and heaps interesting! Stay tuned tata.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know NZlanders were considered interstaters. Love this entry! We will speak ozzie slang when you get back. :)
    I've just learnt from my lecturer that 'keen on' (as in, 'I'm keen on attending the party') is SG slang, and it's an archaic term that no one else in the world uses anymore. haha. Tell me if you notice anyone using it in oz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's new, I didn't know it was archaic. Alright i will look out for anyone using it, though i think i use it quite frequently myself!

    ReplyDelete